About Me

Mother taught. Personally innovated. I love food.

Search DocApril

Monday, December 28, 2009

Spaetzle, Take Two

In the Oktoberfest post, although not pictured, I tried my hand at Spaetzle making. For those of you not familiar with this delectable-al dente-eggy-not quite pasta-not quite dumpling-treat, it can be made either the old fashioned way by hand (as seen in this YouTube video) or by using a rather convenient and simple kitchen gadget:


Either way, the dough is so easy, there is no excuse not to try making it:

2 eggs
2 C flour
1/4 t salt
dash nutmeg (optional)

Mix all of the above with a fork (don't overmix), add 3/4 C milk slowly and incorporate until dough resembles thick drop biscuit consistency. Note: All 3/4 C milk might not be necessary.

The kitchen gadget method definitely goes much faster and ensures a wonderful chewy texture and uniform size:


I paired the delicious little Spaetzle with wonderfully seasoned roasted chicken thighs; a hearty and rich mushroom-onion gravy; and a mash of Rutabega, Broccoli, and Parmesan.

I highly encourage you all to try your hand at Spaetzle making - the accessory is rather affordable, and the product is well worthwhile!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are so into cooking. What a beautiful display of culinary delights and how I wish I was there to join you in your delicious feasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. second time around, even better!

    ReplyDelete