About Me

Mother taught. Personally innovated. I love food.

Search DocApril

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pumpernickel Rye Swirl Bread

Don't ask me how and/or what I did to make this one...but I do know that next time I'll use a touch less molasses and cocoa in the pumpernickel part.  I think I made a basic bread dough with sourdough starter, except instead of 3-4 C flour, I used 1 C rye flour + 1 C whole wheat flour for the light rye part; and 1 C rye flour for the pumpernickel part + 3 T cocoa powder + 1/3 C molasses.  Of course both parts got caraway seeds; and I think that if there is a next time, I'd definitely add a bit more salt to the dough as it seems the missing ingredient.

It looks pretty, though, and tastes delicious toasted with a touch of butter!


2 comments:

  1. more beautiful than a chambered nautilus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I think I'll try to make just the pumpernickel with raisins and walnuts...
    I bought a very small piece at the Farmer's market and they charge $5.00! It wasn't even that good. Keep inspiring me with your blog.

    ReplyDelete