About Me

Mother taught. Personally innovated. I love food.

Search DocApril

Monday, February 15, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread(s): Almost-Everything Spiral Rolls & Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl



After yet another day of cold and dreary weather, and yet MORE snow, I decided to break into the whole wheat flour I purchased a few weeks ago. Of course I had to use my sourdough starter in this recipe because any bread I've made thus far has included it (see other bread posts). I'm not so sure I can taste the sourness of it in there, but I always use it because I'm not sure if the bread would have such a nice texture without it!

I really, and I mean really made this one up this time:

1 pkg yeast - proofed
( about 1/4 C warm
water + 1 tsp sugar for 5-10 min)
~3-4 C whole wheat flour
1.5 C sourdough starter
4 TBS olive oil (or regular vegetable oil)
1/2 tsp kosher salt

After the yeast is proofed, place it in the mixing bowl with the sourdough starter (room temp) -- I used about 1 1/2 C this time I think. Gradually add about 2 C whole wheat flour and mix using dough hook attachment, adding the 4 TBS oil and abut 1 tsp kosher salt to incorporate. Add more whole wheat flour until a soft yet moist dough forms.

Allow dough to double in size about 1 hour in an oiled bowl with a moistened tea towel over the bowl. I typically pre-warm the oven a bit to "warm", turn it off, and allow the dough to rise in there.

I couldn't decide whether to go savory or sweet so I divided the dough and made both types:

"Almost Everything Spiral Rolls":

With half of the dough, divide into 6 small balls. Take one ball, and roll into a 1 inch thick rope always starting from the center of the rope and working your way out toward the ends:


Once the rope is about 1 inch thick, wind into a coil or spiral:


After placing the rolls on a SILPAT (you could use a sprayed cookie sheet), I used 1 egg + 1/4 tsp water to make an egg wash and brushed each coil with the egg wash, prior to coating with a mixture of pretzel salt, sesame seeds, and minced dried onion:

The rolls rested in a dark, warm place for 30 min prior to baking for 10-15 min at 350F. Enjoy!

Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl Loaf:

With the other half of the dough, simply roll to about 18" long by 7" wide. Sprinkle with some brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins - roll into a log and place in a greased loaf pan:


Allow the loaf to rise 30 min in a warm, dark place, brush with egg wash prior to baking for about 12-15 min at 350F. Resist the temptation! Allow bread to cool completely prior to slicing, enjoy by itself or as toast with butter or peanutbutter!


2 comments:

  1. They look beautiful! I want to eat an Almost Everything Spiral roll now. The step by step photos are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative and beautiful. I can only imagine how delicious they both were! Looks like there are many advantages to being snowed in!

    ReplyDelete